Workflow is an abstract representation of real Work or Process. Workflow may refer to Managed Object, Service, Physical and Logical Resource that is being transferred from one State to another. Workflow describes lifetime cycle of given Resource as finite set of States. Every time Resource must be exactly in one State, referred as Current State. Current State cannot be changed in arbitrary fashion. Instead, Workflow defines possible Transitions between States. So Workflow may be considered as Directed Graph, where States are vertices, and Transitions are edges.
Workflows are attached to Resources via Profiles. Resources of same type may have different Workflows. i.e. “Customer VLAN” and “Management VLAN” VLAN Profiles may use different Workflows.
State is the single distingushed state in Resource’s lifetime.
One and only one State of Workflow must be marked as Default State. NOC automatically assigns Default State to new Resources when State is not given explicitly. Proper Workflow determined via Resource’s Profile.
State may be marked as Productive.
- # Resource is in productive usage is_productive = BooleanField(default=False)
Further versions of NOC will use Productive State to indicate that Managed Object may be discovered and monitored
- # Discovery should update last_seen field update_last_seen = BooleanField(default=False)
- # State time-to-live in seconds # 0 - infinitive TTL # >0 - Set expired field to now + ttl # Send expired signal when TTL expired # Expiration may also be delayed by update_expired setting ttl = IntField(default=0) # Update ttl every time when object is discovered update_expired = BooleanField(default=False)
Describe workflow state
- # Handler to be called on entering state on_enter_handlers = ListField(StringField()) # Job to be started when entered state (jcls) # Job key will be <state id>-<resource model>-<resource id> job_handler = StringField() # Handlers to be called on leaving state on_leave_handlers = ListField(StringField())
Describe workflow transition
- workflow = PlainReferenceField(Workflow) from_state = PlainReferenceField(State) to_state = PlainReferenceField(State) is_active = BooleanField(default=True) # Event name # Some predefined names exists: # seen – discovery confirms resource usage # expired - TTL expired event = StringField() # Text label label = StringField() # Arbbitrary description description = StringField() # Enable manual transition enable_manual = BooleanField(default=True) # Handler to be called on starting transitions # Any exception aborts transtion handlers = ListField(StringField())
Describe workflow event as viable part of discovery integration
Describe workflow handler
Describe handler order
Describe workflow resource
- Managed Object (WIP)
- Interface (WIP)
- Prefix (WIP)
- Address (WIP)
- SubInterface (WIP)
- Phone Range (WIP)
- Phone Number (WIP)
- DNS Zone (WIP)
- Project (WIP)
- Subscriber (WIP)
- Supplier (WIP)
- Service (WIP)
Describe Workflow Migrations
When Process considers the Resource has no designated states, simple Workflow with one “Ready” State may be used. NOC provides “Default” workflow out-of-the box.